Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


This is the way he proves his silly “representation” concept:
(Deuteley is rendered in this volume sometimes by “metaphor” but more often by this derisive expression. Zwingli complained of Luther’s mockery: “He makes out of my düten düteley …; if one conquers by turning good words into sarcastic ones, then Luther has won hands down, for he knows this trick so well that undoubtedly no one will outdo him.” “… No düteley here, as he graciously says.” Luther similarly ridicules Oecolampadius’ concept that “body” means “sign of the body”.) St. Paul says in I Corinthians 10[:4], “The rock was Christ,” i.e. the rock represents Christ; therefore, the same should apply here also: “This is my body” means, “This represents my body.” Again, Moses, in Exodus 12[:11], “Eat the lamb in haste, for it is the Lord’s passover,” i.e. it represents the Lord’s passover; therefore, here too, “This is my body” equally must mean, “This represents my body.” -Martin Luther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home