Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Saturday, May 06, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


Consciences want to be certain and sure on this point. Therefore, even if you proved that, for example, from Moses “body” is the same as “sign of the body,” consciences are not satisfied. They just mumble and say, “Yes, my friend, who knows whether it therefore may mean the same in the Supper, too?” We must be assured of this also through God’s Word, otherwise the words remain firm for us and hold us captive with the clear, distinct text, “This is my body.” -Martin Luther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home