Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Sunday, April 30, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


We are unwilling this time to pay the devil the compliment of citing more Scripture than this verse, “This is my body.” For even if we put on all the glasses in the world, we would find none of the evangelists writing, “Take, eat; this is a sign of my body,” or, “This represents my body.” But what we clearly find without the aid of any glasses, so that even young children can read it, is, “Take, eat; this is my body.” -Martin Luther

3 Comments:

Blogger cheryl said...

Yep, often times they will use verses where Christ employs metaphor, and yet do not in any way shape or form apply to the Eucharist, and then conclude from there that when He spoke, "This is my body" he was yet again, speaking metaphorically.

Verses such as, "I am the Vine" or, "I am the Gate" are employed quited frequently. Context doesn't seem to matter obviously.

4/30/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

Oh, just a quick heads-up, I won't have access to the computer for the next week, so if I don't respond til then, it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you.

4/30/2006 7:03 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Sal, is this your view of the Lord's Supper?

Ken

5/04/2006 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home