Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Thursday, April 27, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


God knows, with these crude illustrations I do not wish to offend Zwingli, nor especially Oecolampadius, to whom God has given many gifts, above many other men. Indeed, I am heartily sorry for the man. By such words I look not upon them but only upon the insolent, sarcastic devil who has so deceived and misled them that in return I now find satisfaction to the glory of God, by mocking him again for these clumsy follies of his. For he shall and must be subject to God’s Word. This year, please God, I shall see to it that the fanatics’ devil, who now hinders me from getting other important work done, comes out into the open. God grant that he may lay a rod to his own backside and wake up a sleeping dog. Amen! -Martin Luther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home