Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Monday, April 24, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


Whoever read in the Scriptures that “body” means the same as “sign of the body,” and “is” means the same as “represents”? Indeed, what language in all the world has ever expressed itself so? It is only the arrogance and frivolous wickedness of the very devil, who, mocking us through these fanatics in these important matters, pretends he is willing to be shown with Scripture—provided that he first eliminates the Scripture or twists it to his own fancy. Just as if I were to rob a man of his weapons with crafty words and give him in exchange sham weapons made of paper, exactly like his own, and then proceeded to defy him to strike me with them or defend himself against me. Now this would be a valiant hero! -Martin Luther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home