Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Saturday, April 08, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


Now, in ream, to spite the devil I shall on this occasion take up only the single saying of Christ, “This is my body,” and show how the fanatics have mutilated it down to the present time. Most especially, since they are so slippery and fickle, twisting and turning in a thousand secret corners, I would plead with them in God’s name to take their stand on this one passage and to give me a real answer. The other passages I shall save for another time. I would like to request them, in all kindness, not to become angry that I condemn their doctrine and ascribe it to the devil. I cannot do otherwise or call it otherwise than I believe in my heart. Since they regard us as “un-Christians” whom the Spirit of God has forsaken, they really ought to be forbearing too, in view of all their vaunted spirit, and demonstrate in deeds this forbearance with which they spatter so many books full. For there is no end or limit of boasting in their writings what holy martyrs they are, how much they suffer,  how meek and forbearing they are,  how they seek the glory of Christ alone. Yet they are always crying and complaining meanwhile how the servants of Christ are vilified, and how offense thus is given to the common people. And they wish that men forthwith would praise them, saying, “Pure spirit, pure spirit you are; pure truth, pure truth you teach!” then they would be forbearing. Besides, we godless and unforbearing “un-Christians” must put up with having these holy and moderate teachers revile us as idolaters and having our God called the baked God, the edible and potable God, the bread-God, the wine-God, and ourselves called God-forsaken Christians and such names. -Martin Luther

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home