Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Monday, April 03, 2006

THAT THESE WORDS OF CHRIST, “THIS IS MY BODY,” ETC., STILL STAND FIRM AGAINST THE FANATICS 1527


But my dear fanatics despise me so haughtily that they do not consider me worthy of a careful answer. It is enough for them to look at my book and turn up their noses at it and say, “It lacks Spirit.” What good is it now for me to write a great deal? They scorn my book, and if they just babble a few words about it, without touching a single argument correctly, they consider it refuted. They rest their case simply upon the production of many books and the soiling of much paper. -Martin Luther

3 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

This is one area in which I haven't found Luther particularly compelling.

It seems a natural function of language to say "this is" when we are referring to something that represents, or stands for, something.

If I were giving driving directions to someone, I might plant a salt shaker on the table and say, "This is my house."

But it's not.

Now, one might think Luther would roll over in his grave if he heard that. However, he's in the presence of the risen Christ now so I think his understanding has been refined. As mine also will be!

4/03/2006 5:06 PM  
Blogger Wartburg said...

Thank you Ken for your comment. I hope you will be reading along as time permits. I have found this writing by Dr. Luther incredible to say the least.This will be the subject matter for many, many months to come. I will be praying for you concerning this Palm Sunday and all of your responsibilities.
Salvatore

4/03/2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Thank you for your prayers, Sal. They are much appreciated!

Or as they say in other circles - coveted!

Ken

4/04/2006 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home