Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Anfechtung

Moreover, I want to point out to you a correct way of studying theology, for I have had practice in that. If you keep to it, you will become so learned that you yourself could (if it were necessary) write books just as good as those of the fathers and councils, even as I (in God) dare to presume and boast, without arrogance and lying, that in the matter of writing books I do not stand much behind some of the fathers. Of my life I can by no means make the same boast. This is the way taught by holy King David (and doubtlessly used also by all the patriarchs and prophets) in the one hundred nineteenth Psalm. There you will find three rules, amply presented throughout the whole Psalm. They are Oratio, Meditatio, Tentatio. Prayer, and meditation, Anfechtung. –Martin Luther

3 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Hey -

Sorry I've been away for a few days, but congrats on getting the pictures up. Looks great!

Ken

PS: There are ways to resize them if you want, too. That's the next lesson ;-)

2/09/2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger cheryl said...

I love that quote of Luther's. Never heard it before....wow!

2/10/2006 4:25 AM  
Blogger Wartburg said...

Hi Cheryl,
Greetings today.This comment came from Luther, M. 1999, c1960. Luther's works, vol. 34 : Career of the Reformer IV (J. J. Pelikan, H. C. Oswald & H. T. Lehmann, Ed.). Luther's Works. Vol. 34 (Vol. 34, Page 285). Fortress Press: Philadelphia. For the next few days I will be keeping with this theme, please enjoy. Since Uncle Bill (Will Weedon) posted your address I have visited your sight-very well done. We are supposed to get a snow storm out here (east coast) tomorrow evening; we will see. Thanks for your interest.
Sal

2/10/2006 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home