Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Saturday, June 03, 2006

LUTHER 1527 To Worship A Creature Is Idolatry



LUTHER 1527

Friend, don’t confuse us with the Scriptures; it is not the fanatics’ practice to rely upon the Scriptures. But you ought to produce Scripture that God does and can do such things. All right, here is my Scripture: What God says, he can do, Romans 4[: 21], and with God no word is impossible, Luke 1[: 37]. Since he says here, then, “This is my body,” he certainly can and does make it so. Now you in turn are obliged to prove that he does not and cannot do it. For that is your sovereign argument with which you would dislodge these words. This is the right place for blows, and we stand on the right field of combat. If you do not prove that it is impossible, then we unhorse you and run you through with the words, “This is my body”; God says it, God does it. En garde, you precious horsemen! Now is the time!


To Worship A Creature Is Idolatry.
Finally Christ cannot be a proper object of worship, as he is represented in Scripture and has always been regarded in the Church, without being strictly divine.
HISTORY OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH Schaff Volume 3 NICENE AND POST-NICENE CHRISTIANTY A.D. 311-600
(Page 662)

1 Comments:

Blogger njcopperhead said...

Now I know you're baiting me...

6/04/2006 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home