Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Thursday, March 09, 2006

PSALM SIXTY-NINE





My eyes have failed, while I trust in My God.
This is a horrible word, and I cannot adequately express it, “My eyes have failed.” For one who does not fear everything from all sides does not look around. But he who is afraid will neglect nothing, because he is thoroughly alert and afraid of everything. Therefore, to fight that failure, the Lord so anxiously commands us to be watchful and always to have open eyes and wait for His coming. Therefore we need to fear Him who will stir up this lukewarmness and shake off this sleep, namely, that we may think and evaluate, since smugness is worse and more dreadful than all adversity. For that reason so fear and flee it, so hate it and consider it suspect, as if it were the greatest evil of all, because it lulls to sleep and causes the eyes to fail. And you must keep in mind that this is something you should be advised against, because prosperity is a double adversity and security is twice a danger. Just as there is no greater iniquity than the highest equity, no greater injustice than the highest justice, no greater loss than the greatest gain, so there is no greater adversity than prosperity and no greater danger than no danger at all. This is so because it makes people careless. “When they shall say, ‘peace and security,’ then shall sudden destruction come upon them” (1 Thess. 5:3). Nothing is safe where everything is safe, nothing so sick as when everything is healthy; there is no temptation when all is temptation, no persecution when all is persecution. Thus the devil now fights the church with the greatest persecution, because he fights with no persecution, but rather with security and idleness. Therefore woe to us, who are so snatched away by present things and foolishly do not see the devil’s trap! We act like the foolish heir who knew only how to squander the magnificent estate left by his parents and did nothing to build it up but always carried away from the pile. –Martin Luther

2 Comments:

Blogger Rev. Paul T. McCain said...

I'm going to try this one more time. I read your response to my last comment along these lines and didnt' understand it.

Would you *please* provide references for the quotes you are posting?

You are doing a good thing, but they quotes are entirely useless to anyone if they wish to duplicate them anywhere else.

If you would please post the title of the work from which you are quoting, the date the document would be written and where you are obtaining the translation from, that would be great.

If you are using Libronix, you can have this information all at your fingertips when you copy and paste and you can scroll up to the top of the document to get its name and date.

3/09/2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Wartburg said...

My Dear Brother,
Please calm down. Here is what I posted on Feb. 26th, 2006:"Thank you for your interest. Presently the 55 volume 'American Edition of Luther's Works' is my resource. I also appreciate your interest in referencing each quote. I will do so after the month of March (or so). My computer has suffered loss and I'm using the files in my 'word' right now. I'm unable to reload the actual disc at this time.I do have many of the quotes foot noted and will do my best.Thanks and enjoy."
I thought that would have been clear enough.What else can I say? I really appreciate your words:" You are doing a good thing"... I think more people should read Dr. Luther for themselves. This is just a taste of the words and ideas of Martin Luther. Psalm 69 will be featured for a few weeks (or so). When I get a new computer and I work once again "from the disc" (Libronix, yes) I will be able to do the referencing you desire.
IN ESSENTIALS UNITY
IN NONESSENTIALS LIBERTY
IN ALL THINGS CHARITY
AUGUSTINE

3/09/2006 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home