Wartburg Speaks

"The deplorable, miserable condition which I discovered lately when I, too, was a visitor, has forced and urged me to prepare [publish] this Catechism, or Christian doctrine, in this small, plain, simple form." Martin Luther

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Christ was crucified for us

It is not an easy matter to believe this. To believe that Christ was crucified for us, that He died and was damned for us, requires the power of God. Thus St. Paul says to the Corinthians: “We preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles” (1 Cor. 1:23). And yet this proclamation penetrates the heart; for “it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who has faith” (Rom. 1:16). If I were to consult reason about this, it would say: “Let the devil believe in the sort of wretched person who was nailed to a cross!” And yet the holy martyrs let themselves be burned at the stake and slain for such a faith! Despite His horrible appearance they believed that this condemned Man was the Savior of the world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Many believe Jesus died, but it's the "for us" - or rather, the "for me" - part that's hard to fathom. The "good news" is the "too good news," and so some people think it's too good to be true.

1/29/2006 7:29 AM  
Blogger Wartburg said...

Pastor Ken,
Greetings. I'm living the "happy life" and love seeing you on the BLOG.Our chubby Doctor said:"unless God constantly forgives, we are lost".Keep posting- I love your BLOG.

1/29/2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger Wartburg said...

Sister Elaine,
Greetings to you tonight. Believe me, if I could be in two places at once I'd be up stairs and down stairs at the same time...but...Our Psalms class is really good. I think it should go on for the next ten years, I really do.

1/29/2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger William Weedon said...

Amen, Sal! I'm so glad you sent me this blog address. I'm adding it to my regulars to check out.

The entire Gospel is in the "for you!" and that is what the Sacraments are all about.

1/29/2006 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home